Founded in 1806 in Silver Street, Sheffield, James Dixon & Son was one of the major British manufacturers in the Industrial Revolution of the 19th century.
The business of manufacturing silversmiths, platers and Britannia metal workers was commenced in c. 1806 by James Dixon in conjunction with Thomas Smith in Silver Street, Sheffield.
In 1823 Thomas Smith withdrew and Wm F. Dixon, the eldest son of James, joined the firm. In 1830, the firm began making silver and plated goods at Cornish Place by acquiring the firm Nicholson, Ashforth and Cutts.
In 1824 they moved to Cornish Place, a large site, which enabled them to expand and develop the workshops, casting shops, offices and warehouses.
When James Willis Dixon, the second son of James, joined the firm the name was changed to James Dixon & Sons.
In 1836, the firm began to make spoons and forks from nickel silver - an alloy of nickel, copper and zinc starting from 1848 to produce electroplate.
The firm exhibited at the Great Exhibition in 1851, being awarded several prizes in different classes for silver and Britannia metal.
Hallmarks were entered into the Sheffield Assay Office and used from 1829 until 1867.
In 1902 Lord Kitchener visited James Dixons and was given a handsome silver flask with his arms on it.
In the 1920s the firm began to use stainless steel to make both flatware and hollowware and the production of silver and silver plated goods declined.
In 1920 the firm switched to Stainless Steel for cutlery.
In the late 50's the company designed the trophy for the American Master's Golf Tournament that is held in Augusta, Georgia each year.
The firm continued to be a family run enterprise until 1976.
In 1978 & 1982 the firm suffered financial collapses. They were subsequently absorbed into British Silverware Production in 1984 who still use the name to this day.
Dixons were known for designing and making exclusive products. These were used for Sheffield Dignitaries, Royalty, famous people, and wealthy people who wanted something unusual and valuable.
They are well-known as manufacturers of Pewterware, Electroplated Britannia metal, Silverware and Electroplated nickel silver (EPNS). Their products include hundreds of items e.g. bowls, cutting-tools, tea services, cocktail shakers and mixers as well as items such as candlesticks. JD&S was the hallmark used for sterling silver pieces.